– This is the final post on our discovery journey that started with a discussion on how Christian Science prayer heals through our understanding, application and demonstration of the Laws of God – Truth as based on the teaching and practice of Christ Jesus and its healing efficacy today, rediscovered by Mary Baker Eddy as revealed in her book Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures.
– Our mission was to clarify what is Christian Science healing – in the vernacular of Christian Science jargon “Knowing the Truth.”
– The discovery of Truth led us to the seven synonyms for God which open the full spectrum of how we pray in Christian Science. “And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free” (John 8:32). Prayer in Christian Science is discovery not recovery and is based on a desire to let God’s ever-presence be realized – and knowing that God is always good in evidence of peace, joy, health and holiness.
– Christian Science prayer is healing through turning to God for solutions to any and all human problems. It is not blind faith, will power, mental suggestion, or mere positive thinking. It is understanding God in demonstration of reflection as created in His image and after His likeness. We discover this reflection in the spectrum of light, revealed through the seven synonyms for God – Mind. Soul, Spirit, Principle, Life, Truth, Love and experienced by our divine coincidence with Truth. Our discovery and understanding of God reveals our identity and individuality in consciousness which is thus reflected in being – the Truth of our image, our identity (oneness) with God and of our likeness, our individuality (sameness) with God.
– Mary Baker Eddy writes in Science and Health “Mankind will improve through Science and Christianity. The necessity for uplifting the race is father to the fact that Mind can do it; for Mind can impart purity instead of impurity, strength instead of weakness, and health instead of disease. Truth is an alterative in the entire system, and can make it ‘every whit whole'” (page 371). What does alterative mean? The dictionary suggests it is “the act or choice, likely or able to produce a change or modification.” It is important to also remember that the all powerful and always present sunlight of Truth invigorates and purifies our human experience in many important ways!
– Each of us have our own epiphany in Truth discovery and I loved Bob Vessel’s comment in further discovery of his freedom – he writes: “Your opening statement about knowing the truth shall make you free is on the wall at a Christian Science church that I have the pleasure of visiting from time to time as it is on the walls of many Christian Science churches. So over the years I have seen it a lot. But at this particular church in Saratoga Springs the statement took on special meaning for me. As I sat down in this church several weeks ago I looked at the statement which is on the left hand side of the wall in the front of the church. I thought to myself —What is this truth that will set us free? I found the answer to that question on the wall in the middle of the church. ‘God is Love’ Clearly that is the truth that will set us free! Then I thought to myself — Well how will that freedom be manifested in our human experience? I found the answer to this, my final question, in a statement on the right hand side of the wall of that church. ‘Divine Love always has met and always will meet every human need’ (Science and Health p.494:10). I feel certain that the statement about truth setting us free will take on special meaning to me from now on, and as I have been pondering this I thought of Mrs. Eddy’s statement: ‘The depth, breadth, height, might, majesty, and glory of infinite Love fill all space. That is enough!’ (Science and Health p. 510:3-5) ‘Free at last. Thank God I am free at last.’”
– In opening the view to our seven synonyms – windows to Truth, Mary Baker Eddy writes in her work entitled, No and Yes, “True prayer is not asking God for love; it is learning to love, and to include all mankind in one affection. Prayer is the utilization of the love wherewith He loves us. Prayer begets an awakened desire to be and do good. It makes new and scientific discoveries of God, of His goodness and power. It shows us more clearly than we saw before, what we already have and are; and most of all, it shows us what God is” (p.39).
– “If the kingdom of God is understood as the consciousness of divine Truth-of the infinite, divine Principle, Love-then healing is indeed an evidence of the appearing of this consciousness in human experience. As individuals, we all still have a great deal to learn as to how to demonstrate more effectively the infinite power of good, or God. But the way has been made clear, and we can rejoice for the progress already made as well as the boundless possibilities ahead” (Christian Science: A Sourcebook for contemporary materials p.125-126).
Note: The blog intends to move on with application of our Truth discovery to healing impositions on Christian Science – relevant to today’s specific challenges to humanity – TruManity – be there!